Mashed avocado and white beans make for a fiber-rich and creamy topping, the perfect partner for a crispy slice of toast. Try it for a quick breakfast or snack.”
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread, toasted
- ¼ avocado, mashed
- ½ cup canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1Top toast with mashed avocado and white beans. Season with a pinch each of salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
Unlike quick-cooking oats, old-fashioned oatmeal has time to turn extra-creamy and luscious with just a few minutes more of cooking time. With a bit of milk and the toppings of your choice, old-fashioned oats can be your go-to morning staple for filling, healthy breakfasts.”
- 1 cup water or low-fat milk
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup rolled oats (see Tip)
- Low-fat milk for serving (optional)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey, cane sugar or brown sugar for serving (optional)
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 1Stovetop: Combine water (or milk) and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in oats and reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2Microwave: Combine water (or milk), salt and oats in a 2-cup microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High for 2½ to 3 minutes. Stir before serving.
- 3Top with milk, sweetener, cinnamon, dried fruits or nuts, if desired.
A smoothie with strawberries, blueberries and banana is delicately sweet and entirely kid-friendly, even with a boost of protein from hemp seeds. Freeze the fruits ahead of time for an extra frosty texture once blended.”
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 small ripe banana (frozen, if desired)
- ¾ cup chilled unsweetened cashew milk, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds
- 1Combine strawberries, blueberries, banana, cashew milk, cashew butter and hemp seeds in a blender. Process until smooth, adding more cashew milk, if needed, for desired consistency. Serve immediately.