Consider the fillings in this vegan summer roll recipe as a starting point—papaya, snap peas and shrimp are all good alternatives. The first thing you layer on the rice paper will be what shows through on the finished roll, so vary what you start with for stunning, Instagram-worthy results.”
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Summer Rolls
- 12 rice paper wrappers
- 3 ounces thin rice noodles, prepared according to package directions
- 2 Persian (mini) cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 small watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- 1 medium ripe mango, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups fresh mint leaves
- 1½ cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 medium ripe avocados, halved and sliced into 12 pieces each
- 4 large leaves butter lettuce, torn into 3 pieces each
- 1To prepare sauce: Whisk hoisin, peanut butter, water, tamari, vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- 2To prepare rolls: Soak one wrapper at a time in a shallow dish of very hot water until softened, about 10 seconds. Lift out, let excess water drip off and lay the wrappers on a clean, dry cutting board.
- 3Layer 2 tablespoons rice noodles, a few slices each cucumber, radish and mango, 1 teaspoon scallions, 2 tablespoons each mint and basil, 2 avocado slices and 1 piece of lettuce on the bottom third of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper over the filling and roll into a tight cylinder, folding in the sides as you go. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and fillings. Serve with the sauce.