Flaxseed meal, which develops a gelatinous texture when mixed with water, replaces the eggs and provides structure to this moist, flavorful loaf.”
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- 2Combine water and flaxseed meal in a small bowl. Let stand for a few minutes.
- 3Whisk almond milk, sugar, oil, vanilla and the flaxseed mixture in a medium bowl. Stir in pumpkin puree. Whisk flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon) and salt in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, if using. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- 4Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out on a wire rack. Let cool for 1 hour before slicing.