Classic cornbread can easily be made vegan with delicious results by replacing the egg and dairy milk with flaxseed meal and soymilk! Serve this easy recipe as a side with vegan chili or turn it into vegan cornbread stuffing.”
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1¼ cups whole-grain cornmeal
- ¾ cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened plain soymilk
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or canola oil
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2Combine water and flaxseed meal in a small bowl. Let stand until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 3Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk soymilk, oil and the reserved flaxseed mixture in another medium bowl; add to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Transfer batter to the baking dish, spreading evenly. Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.