With plenty of kick from a serrano chile pepper, this tomatillo-and-tomato medley is perfect for serving as a snack with baked tortilla chips or, another time, as a relish for broiled fish or chicken.”
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 fresh tomatillos (about 4 ounces)
- ¾ cup finely chopped yellow cherry tomatoes
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped (about ⅔ cup)
- 1½ teaspoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 fresh serrano chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Ground black pepper
- Baked tortilla chips
- 1In a medium bowl, combine onion, the ice water, and vinegar. Let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, remove and discard the thin brown papery husks from the tomatillos. Rinse tomatillos and finely chop (you should have about ¾ cup).
- 2Drain onion; stir in tomatillos, cherry tomatoes, plum tomatoes, cilantro, chile pepper, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- 3Tote in an insulated cooler with ice packs. Serve with baked tortilla chips.