“In summer, when your garden is producing lots of fresh vegetables and herbs, whip up this fresh and healthy salad. Crisp-tender corn and beans, crunchy cucumber, and sweet cherry tomatoes are combined in a heavenly basil vinaigrette, resulting in a gorgeous and delicious side that works well with any main dish.”
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar (see Tip)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ears corn, husks and silks removed
- 1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed (if desired) and halved
- 1¼ cups chopped cucumber (1 small)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper (1 small)
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions (3)
- 1For vinaigrette, combine basil, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Cover and process until the basil is finely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides as necessary. Add vinegar and mustard; cover and process until combined. With the processor running, slowly add oil in a steady stream until mixture is smooth.
- 2Cut corn kernels from cobs; discard the cobs. Cook the corn and green beans in a large saucepan in a large amount of boiling water about 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Rinse with cold water to cool; drain again.
- 3Combine the corn and beans, cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, and scallions in a large bowl. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.