This versatile and easy side dish is a tasty way to showcase green beans. We boil the beans briefly before sautéing for perfectly crisp-tender vegetables that don’t get mushy.
- 3 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- ½ cup diced tomato
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add beans and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Dry the pot.
- Add oil to the pot and heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, tomato and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are heated through, about 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.