This delicious vegetable side dish is bursting with grape tomatoes, porcini mushrooms, and creamy roasted eggplant chunks. Topped with a thyme-balsamic sauce, it would make a filling vegetarian main dish served over rice or couscous.”
- 1 pound eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange eggplant in a 15×10-inch baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and browned, stirring once or twice.
- 2Meanwhile, place mushrooms in a small bowl. Add the boiling water to the bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes; drain the water. Chop the mushrooms.
- 3Heat balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat until boiling; reduce the heat. Simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in the mushrooms and thyme.
- 4To serve, drizzle the roasted eggplant with the balsamic mixture. Combine grape tomatoes and basil. Sprinkle over the eggplant mixture.