A simple lemony-mustard marinade is all these vegetables need to showcase their amazing flavor. Be careful not to overcook delicate baby vegetables—they lose their lovely colors and fresh flavors.”
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 pounds tiny, whole vegetables such as carrots, zucchini, and/or pattypan squash
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Fresh oregano (optional)
- 1For dressing, combine water, oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, mustard, basil, and garlic in a screw-top jar. Set aside.
- 2Cook carrots, zucchini, and/or pattypan squash in a small amount of water, covered, in a large saucepan for 3 minutes. Add sugar snap peas and/or yellow beans; cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain; rinse the vegetables with cold water. Drain again.
- 3Combine the cooked vegetables, tomatoes, and salad dressing in a large bowl, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving. If desired, garnish with oregano.