Our popular two-ingredient dough bagels are easy to make vegan with a simple swap. Here, we use pureed pumpkin (instead of Greek yogurt) combined with self-rising flour to make a dairy-free version of the easiest bagels ever. A little pumpkin pie spice takes them to next-level deliciousness. Want to go even further? Add a tablespoon of pure maple syrup to the dough. Then spread on some nut butter or vegan cream cheese and breakfast is served!”
- 1¼ cups self-rising flour, preferably whole-wheat or gluten-free (see Tip)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F. Position rack in upper third of oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- 2Place self-rising flour in a stand mixer (see Tip) fitted with the dough hook. Add pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice and mix at low speed until a smooth dough forms, 3 to 4 minutes. Add a few tablespoons water if the dough seems dry or a few tablespoons flour if it is sticky.
- 3Shape the dough into a disk, then divide into 4 equal pieces. Using your hands, roll each piece into a rope, 9 to 10 inches long and ¾ inch wide. Shape each rope into a bagel and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the bagels with oil and sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
- 4Bake in the upper third of the oven until nicely browned on the bottom and lightly browned on top, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.