“There’s nothing easier—or tastier!—than a pan of roasted root vegetables. Clean them, trim them, and season them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and let them roast to perfection in the oven while you focus on the rest of your meal.”
- 12 ounces rutabaga, peeled and cut into ¾-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 8 ounces celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces peeled baby carrots (1½ cups)
- 8 ounces fingerling potatoes, halved if large
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch-thick slices (about 1½ cups)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cored and cut into thin wedges (about 1 cup)
- 2 shallots, peeled and cut into thin wedges (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine rutabaga, celery root, baby carrots, fingerling potatoes, parsnips, fennel, and shallots in a shallow roasting pan. Add oil, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 2Increase oven temperature to 425°F. Bake, uncovered, about 10 minutes more or until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.