Mango, bell peppers, and black beans combine with whole-wheat couscous in this Caribbean-inspired grain salad. The ginger-lime dressing has a touch of cayenne pepper and provides just the right amount of zing!”
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups coarsely shredded fresh spinach
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium mango, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1For dressing, whisk together cilantro, lime juice, oil, ginger, salt, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- 2Bring the 1¼ cups water to boiling in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Let stand at room temperature about 10 minutes or until cool.
- 3Stir together beans, spinach, bell pepper, mango, and scallions in a large bowl. Add couscous and reserved dressing. Toss to coat. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap or foil and chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.