“It’s hard to imagine a classic buttery sugar cookie without the butter, but trust us, it’s possible. Here, we use coconut oil instead of butter for dairy-free eggless cut-out cookies that taste delicious and are fun to make and eat. Decorate with a citrus glaze colored with a little food dye, sprinkles and/or sanding sugar as you wish.”
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, at room temperature (not liquid)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- 2Cream coconut oil and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add water, lemon zest and vanilla; beat until well combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients, beating at low speed until well combined. Divide the dough into 4 pieces and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 4Working with 1 piece of dough at a time (keep remaining dough refrigerated while you work), roll the dough between 2 pieces of parchment until about ¼-inch thick. Lift off the top sheet of parchment. Using 2- to 3-inch cookie cutters, cut out shapes. Using a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a prepared baking sheet (see Tip). Reserve the scraps to reroll. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough and scraps.
- 5Bake cookies, one baking sheet at a time, until lightly browned around the edges, 10 to 16 minutes.