This throw-together slaw is prepped in just 20 minutes and chilled for either 2 hours or an entire day, to allow the lemony-cilantro dressing to work its magic. It’s great whether you have just a couple of hours to prepare your meal or a full day before company comes.”
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar (see Tip)
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of ground pepper
- 2 cups packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
- ¼ cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1Whisk together lemon juice, oil, sugar, mustard, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add coleslaw mix, carrot, cilantro, and scallion; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours before serving.
Roti is a flattened bread that originated in India. It’s cooked on a griddle or skillet on your stove and can be eaten alongside any meal, or used as a base for vegetables or curries. If you’re grilling a main dish, try cooking the roti bread on the grill!”
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup water, plus more as needed
- 1Stir together whole-wheat flour, ½ cup all-purpose flour, and the salt in a large bowl. Gradually stir in the ¾ cup water to make a soft dough, adding additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary. Shape the dough into a ball. Sprinkle some of the remaining ½ cup all-purpose flour on a work surface. Knead the dough on the floured surface until smooth, elastic, and slightly sticky. Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- 2Divide the dough into 12 portions. Roll each portion between the palms of your hands into a smooth ball. Press the balls to flatten and coat lightly with more of the remaining flour. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into 6-inch circles, using the remaining flour as necessary.
- 3Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add a dough circle; cook about 30 seconds or until lightly browned. Turn and cook about 30 seconds more or until lightly browned and firm. Using a clean, folded kitchen towel, press the roti down in several spots gently yet firmly. Repeat with the remaining dough circles.
- 4Serve immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.