To infuse peas with flavor, simmer them with dried spices, which pack a more intense punch than fresh. Smoked paprika delivers the essence of ham hocks or bacon while keeping this classic side dish vegan.”
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1Place peas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Soak overnight.
- 2Drain the peas. Add 8 cups water to a large pot, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add bay leaves, oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne and the drained peas. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peas are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Add salt. Discard the bay leaves.